Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
Mutley1979
Mutley1979

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:40pm

Post Subject: Heating and hot water system

Hi, I have a friend who has just bought a boat that had an old log boiler and calorifier I believe ( see image attached). This ran on gravity and also ran the radiators on gravity. He has bought a solid fuel back boiler and wants me to install it. Now I known this is going to be gravity fed and so will need a vent and expansion tank. Now am I able house the cylinder in the attached picture to run this? I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards

Heating and hot water system
Mutley1979
Mutley1979

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42pm

More pics

Heating and hot water system
Mutley1979
Mutley1979

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:08pm

I was meant to say he had an old LPG boiler

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54pm

I apologise for not noticing this in the General Forum yesterday. It would be better in the Ask the Experts forum because I check that several times a day. I am afraid I can not give you an answer at present until. I know a lot more about the system. I have no idea what the "cylinder" is that apparently "runs the system". It makes no sense to me. Apart from the Calor gas cylinder the only other thing I think you might mean is the hot water calorifier but that will not "run the system" but the heating system and potentially the engine may heat the domestic water in the calorifier. I have no idea why you are asking about a vent and expansion tank because I would expect them to already be in place from the old gas boiler. That is assuming its the type typically fitted to canal boats with gravity circulation. It should also have been there for the log burner. I am afraid that I sense muddled thinking so please move this to an email discussion on tony@tb-training.co.uk. Please try to clarify exactly what you intend to do and what you want to know before emailing me. Many thanks, Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55pm

Please also email the photos because the forum renders them so small they are all but useless.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.