Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
iain_cam
iain_cam

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:20pm

Post Subject: Braunston to ?

Hello. My family and I have booked a barge for 4 days leaving from Braunston. Can anyone recommend a route and what we should be doing? e.g. best places to visit, places to stop for dinner and lunch, best places to moor at night. Any help would be appreciated

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54pm

Probably impossible to answer until we know more about what you want. How much locking are you willing to do? Are you happy with doing wide locks or would you prefer narrow ones? When you sat places to stop for dinner & lunch do you just mean moorings or do you want pubs & restaurants? Do you prefer mooring out in the country (maybe with other boats) or do you want town/village moorings? What do you want from places to visit? You have a choice of a number of routes Two involving wide locks and two only narrow locks. One of those narrow routes will probably only involve 3 narrow locks each way for just four days. and one involving both. Two with a major tunnel and one possibly with another one as well. With so many pubs closing I think it would be difficult to find meals out for both lunch and dinner but just dinner is far easier. We usually moor up out in the country for the night and usually cook our own meals on board. Four days is not long so as far as visits are concerned you will not have much choice. You go where the canal you choose takes you and most of it will be very rural. Even in towns the cabals usually have a rural feel to them. let us know the answers to the questions above and also how many bale bodied people will be aboard. If it was just two plus small children I would suggest a narrow lock route. If you have more adults and the children can be trusted and (say) over 7 then a wide lock route becomes easier.

iain_cam
iain_cam

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Children will be 9 and 12. Would still probably prefer the more narrow locks as it's out first time on a barge holiday. Quite happy to prepare meals on the barge although the odd pub wouldn't go a miss. In terms of things to do a few historic sites, villages and some country walks would be fine.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54am

The childeren are old enough to do as they are told and help with locks.There is a choice of two routes I think. Either the South or North Oxford Canal. The southern route will involve roughly a two to three hour lock free cruise to the moorings just before the Folly pub at Napton. The Folly does food and there is a good village shop in Napton itself. Napton is not particularly picturesque but if you like a strenuous walk you could walk to the windmill for views. Windmill not open to the public. Then there is a flight of 9 locks that takes you up onto the summit level. Say 3 hours, with plenty of walking as you work up the flight for those who want it. another 3 to four hours will see you to The Wharf (pub with food and a small shop) near Fenny Compton. The village is about a 15 minute walk away down a fairly busy road and it has a Co-op. Depending on your energy you could go on for about an hour to a flight of six Clayton lock but you can not turn round until you get to the bottom of the flight. I can turn a 57ft boat in the kink at the end of a long straight below the locks. There are no pubs or shops in Clayton and its about a 10 minute walk from either bridge over the lock flight. I suspect you will have to turn round at the Wharf or at Clayton. There are a number of well spaced locks before you get to Cropedy but I doubt you will have time. The Northern route was much improved near the start of the last century so has a number of long straights and cuttings. It has one minor tunnel at Newbold. It will take about two hours or so to a flight of 3 locks at Hillmorton, Hillmorton is a suburb of Rugby and its centre is a fair walk from the canal. You could poke around the buildings of the old maintenance yard between the bottom two locks for few minutes. Another hour gets you to Rugby but although there is a Tesco and two retail parks plus cinema close to the canals the town itself is probably a bus ride away. Another half hour will get you to Newnbold where there is a pub by the anal with food plus a Co-op. Another suburb of Rugby so not much of interest. Through the tunnel and about another hour or so will get you to the moorings outside Brinklow. A 15 miute walk into the village via the mounds of Brinklow Castle. Pubs, shop and chippy in Brinklow. Three hours or so gets you to Sutton Stop at the end of the canal. You pass Ansty but I think the pub there has closed. No shops and the mooring is somewhat restricted. Sutton Stop is a very shallow lock, a pool and a historic pub called the Greyhound. I think they do food, From there you can go either way along the Coventry Canal. If you have time you could perhaps get to Coventry. The town a about a 10 minute walk from the canal basin and the motor museum is worth a visit if you have time but I doubt you will with just four days. Braunston village itself is worth a visit. Large village shop, butchers, chippy (at top end of village) and several pubs ranging from large canal side chain eatery to village boozer. The Crown in the High Street does food while a walk up part fo the wide Braunston lock flight gets you to the Admiral Nelson that also does food (if its open). Those are my suggestions, I hope others will chip in and come back if you need more advice.

iain_cam
iain_cam

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51am

Thanks that's a great help

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.