Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
Felt553
Felt553

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:16pm

Post Subject: Coolant leak on a lister engine

Hi. My sister scan purchased a narrow boat last year. There is a lister water cooled Diesel engine in the boat. We have recently discovered that the expansion tank was empty, Hower when it was topped up it was down again two days later. I am found a leak but have no idea what the part is as I have no idea what model of lister engine it is. I have attached a picture of the part as it seems the gasket is gone. Also would someone know where I would buy a new expansion tank cap for the engine. Thanks in advance your advice and help.

Coolant leak on a lister engine
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54am

As you can see the Forum software makes any image too small to be of much use. Please send the photo to Tony@tb-training.co.uk or to the magazine with a request to forward it to me. If its a normal expansion cap then any motor factors should be able to supply on as long as you take the old one in as a pattern. The pressure is written on them.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49am

After viewing the video I was sent: I can not identify the engine from the video but blue is not a common Lister colour. If you are saying Lister because of sales information then that is not to be relied upon. Can you send me some photos showing the whole engine please. The item you show is a Jabsco (may be Johnson because Jabsco is a trade name used a bit like Hoover for any such pump) raw water pump. I can not see the leak but suspect it comes from the gaps in the "waist of the pump that normally have a rubber O ring or rubber washer like thing threaded onto the shaft to act as a water or oil thrower depending upon which end the seal has failed. I suggest that you visit my website for an image and a lot more information http://www.tb-training.co.uk/ 15cool.htm#bmn54 The image does not show these seals because exactly what a specific pump uses varies considerably but I think that you have a lip seal with the open face pointing towards the impeller just behind the runner impeller and another one the other way round at the other end of the shaft. That one stops engine oil leaking down the shaft. The shaft may run in a pair of ball bearings or simply in the metal pump body. If the bearings, shaft, or body has worn then new seals are unlikely to stop the leak for very long, if at all. You wont be bale to find out until you get the pump off and strip it down. Check the shaft for lift once you get the impeller out. The impellers are service items that needs changing every couple of years or so but possible less often on a tank cooled canal boat. The disc like cover that is held on with six screws will have the maker's name and model number on it unless the cover has been reversed to compensate for wear. I can also see a number that is illegible on the pump body. Once you identify the pump then try talking to: https://www.jabscoshop.com/spare-part s/ For Lister specific spares talk to MES (Midlands) - if it is a Lister! The above answers you immediate question but the cooling set up is not one normally finds on a canal boat with a fairly modern engine. I suspect the engine started life as a direct raw water cooled engine but has been piped to draw coolant from and return it to a skin tank. That is fine as long as the engine is sufficiently cooled apart from the greater need of servicing for that type of pump. This may not be correct because I get the impression of a raw water strainer low down and above the pump but this is too indistinct to be sure. If it is a working raw water system the all the time the engine is running water will flowing from the side of the boat or out of the exhaust. In that case you will have two cooling water systems, one for raw canal water and another with the header tank for antifreeze/coolant mixture. I need photos showing the whole engine area to be sure of what you have got. If the pump is pumping water through the skin tank or if it is a system with a heat exchanger (described in my notes linked to above) then the pressure cap may not need replacing UNLESS the rubber seals under the spring or their seat are damaged. Boats can contain far more coolant than vehicles so the basically automotive sourced expansion tanks may not be larger enough to accommodate the coolant expansion. This will certainly be the case if you fill it to the brim or even an inch below the top or to the maximum mar on the expansion tank. I may be ablke to advise more once I see the photos. I trust this is of some use.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.67 seconds.