Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
olgapika
olgapika

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04pm

Post Subject: The everyday life on a boat.

Hello, I hope all of you are doing well and not freezing in this weather! I'm an illustration student at Middlesex university, and I'm writing my dissertation on narrowboats and the canals. I want to learn about the experiences of living on a boat firsthand, and I wasn't sure where to start so here I am. I'm interested in hearing about things like everyday chores and just the general life on the boat, maybe some stories about the boat you are living on. If anyone is willing to reach out and have a little conversation with me, be it through email or a meeting, I'd be delighted and very grateful. You can also just reply in the comments to this, anything will help me out! Thank you so much for your help in advance, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21am

Post Subject: The everyday life on a boat.

If you have not done so already I suggest you also post this on the Canalworld.net forum and the London Boaters Facebook page. Canalworld regularly gets requests like yours so some may post less than polite replies. Regular chores include disposing of rubbish and sewerage, filling with water and if you do not have a permanent mooring moving on "a continuous journey" (not back and forth between two points) every 14 days or less depending upon local mooring rules. At less regular intervals you need to obtain fuel for propulsion, heating and battery charging. Even with masses of solar keeping the batteries well enough charged so they do not destroy themselves is difficult, especially in winter. Unless you have a love of boats and living on them it can be dispiriting during the dark, damp and cold winter months. I hope this helps and also trust other readers will respond.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.