Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pippppster
pippppster

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03am

Post Subject: Converting my narrowboat into a garden shed!

Hello Partly due to the ever increasing cost of boating, I am considering taking my 26.5 feet (6 tonne) narrowboat out of the Ashby canal, and putting it in my garden to convert it into an exotic shed! I could then refurbish the boat with a view to keeping it as a shed or returning it to the water. I have no idea of cranage/transport costs, or any of the other factors I need to take into consideration, and would be grateful for any advice. My boat is moored on the Ashby canal about 5 miles from my home. I am looking to complete the process within 3 months. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. Pippppster

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21am

I think the best way to start is to contact one of the companies that advertise under Transport at the back of the magazine. I also think they will require you to move the boat to a suitable lifting site which may be a boatyard. You will also need a very clear description if where you want it placed once you get it home. If the lift requires the boat to go over the house or with a long jib extension to reach into your garden you may well find that although your boat only weighs 6 tonnes it would require a very large crane. Some years ago when I investigated this the company I spoke too was on about extra insurance to indemnify them against damage to under road services during the lift at the house end. Tony Brooks

pippppster
pippppster

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18am

Thanks Tony for your advice. Very helpful.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.