Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mrtrunk
mrtrunk

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37pm

Post Subject: Purchasing a used boat

We live in Kent could you recommend a boatyard and surveyor to undertake an inspection on a boat we are thinking of purchasing from Germany. This is a matter of urgency as need to give details for shipping within 48 hours. Also could you recommend moorings at a reasonable rate in Avon/kennet canal or the southern section of the Birmingham/East Midalnds waterways.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43am

Post Subject: Purchasing a used boat

This is all back to front. The survey should be done before purchase so you can back out if something horrible is found. I think you would not be well advised to be bounced into rushing - that 48 hour deadline sounds a bit like a scam. I am not aware that Germany has any narrow canals and although UK narrowboats do get to the continent they are not particularly suitable. This suggests to me that you are looking at a wide beam boat, so that rules out the Birmingham navigations and some to the south. Basically you only have the Grand Union canal plus the Fens north of the Thames & Lea. I am sorry but the term "reasonable rate" gives me no measure of your expectations so the whole thing seems ill considered with insufficient research done. There are lists of marinas and surveyors in the back of all the waterways magazines.You need to start phoning around. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.