Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47pm

Post Subject: Using a fuel funnel with built in filter.

Tony, I was wondering what your views are on the use of a funnel with filter are when filling up the tank. I have seen some advertised that have a water separator built in. They are about £30. Thanks Mark. ( it would be rather good if they had a bio filter !!! ).

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31pm

A bio-filter would have to be very large and also need a pump to force fuel through in a reasonable time. I assume that you are in control of your cans of fuel from the initial filling, storage and then transferring to the boat tank. As long as you take care there should be virtually no chance to pick up water contamination and I very much doubt these traps will remove water that has been emulsified in any bio content of the fuel. Personally I would use a strainer - be it an ad-hoc one made from fabric - just in case the inner surfaces of the container are dirty or the coating starts to fall off. Then I would just take care and not pour the last half litre or so straight into the tank. I would put that into a transparent container so I could inspect for water etc. before transferring it to the tank. I can think of better things to spend 30 quid on when a bit of care will do the same job. Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28pm

Thanks Tony, I have tended to run the main tank down to 1/4 then fill up directly from the dealers pump into my tank not using cans. Hence wondering if I should use a funnel filter.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53am

First of all the supplier may not be happy using a funnel and in any case the best you could do is to use a strainer - not a filter. The pumps from the suppliers bulk tank should contain a filter and it is often blocked filters that cause forecourts to close a pump. A strainer will not stop mild bug infections so I see little point in using one. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53am

First of all the supplier may not be happy using a funnel and in any case the best you could do is to use a strainer - not a filter. The pumps from the suppliers bulk tank should contain a filter and it is often blocked filters that cause forecourts to close a pump. A strainer will not stop mild bug infections so I see little point in using one. Tony Brooks

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29pm

while cruising keep look out for a farmer's store, tractor dealers tractor funnels with filter about a tenner

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.