Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Boatlady
Boatlady

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52pm

Post Subject: Bowthruster

Hello. I am using a 110Ah 12v leisure battery for my bowthruster. It's got no oomph. I've just been told I should be using a starter battery. What is your advice? Thanks in advance.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:47pm

Post Subject: Bowthruster

There is a lot more to this question than meets the eye but some pointers. First of all you need to check the thruster propeller is not clogged, few thruster tubes are fitted with a weed hatch so if yours is not I fear it may be a case of getting into the canal and reaching into the tube. At the same time make sure that whatever fail safe device - like a sheer pin - that is used to protect the system if the prop jambs is still in good working condition. I do not like the term leisure batteries because nowadays it usually refers to battery that provides adequate performance for both deep cycle and starting use so there is every possibility that your battery is suitable. What is not clear is the state of the battery. I need to know how old it is, how it is charged and most importantly the voltage across the main connections first thing in the morning after a good day's cruise PLUS the voltage in the same place as the thruster is run for 30 seconds. My suspicion is that you may have a sulphated battery that no longer holds sufficient charge for the thruster but I can not be sure without more info. The age of the battery will also help. It is also possible that the motor is playing up or even that the bow thruster is undersized for your boat but the rest needs checking first. If you are in the south email me (tony@tb-training.co.uk) to see if you are close enough for me to help. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.