Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DavidBJ
DavidBJ

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13pm

Post Subject: Sticking ULTRAFLEX B90

Having just purchaed a second hand boat about 10 days ago the throttle control has become very stiff particularlyin reverse. It is also not possible to pull the handle out to have the engine running without the gear being exchanged. I have not been able to track down any maintenace details for this unit.. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24am

That is because there is very little to them. I suspect the stiffness is caused by one cable or the other needing replacement (you normally can not lubricate the control cables). I would take the unit off the boat and then apply spray grease or oil to the moving parts in the back of the unit. You may also find a hole in the box that contains a couple of gears so you can spray some grease into them. When you free everything off you may find the throttle creeps back towards slow when running. If it does then some controls have a friction adjustment and some do not. You do not pull the whole lever out to disengage the gears on all units. Some have a button to pull out. Some have a push button (often in the centre of the arm pivot) and some have a tab hanging down to pull so you need to have a good look at it. I am not familiar with your particular unit so maybe a reader can give you more info. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45am

I have found the Ultraflex website - not much help is it? Sometimes I find you have to use two hands on this type of control. One pulling the lever out and the other rocking it back and forth a couple of degrees across the "neutral" position. Its worth a try. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.51 seconds.