Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pepper63
pepper63

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47pm

Post Subject: Shower

What type of shower can I use on a narrowboat?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05pm

It would help if you were a bit more specific. A small one, one that fits into the space you have - what exactly do you mean. I suspect you mean what type of shower control/valve rather than what type of cubical. As the boat's water system is pressurised almost any domestic shower control will do as long as it does not have a low maximum operating pressure. Water is at a premium on most boats so you may want to choose a low flow shower head but that is up to you. Oh, just in case you were thinking about an electric shower - don't unless you are permanently on a shore line. Using electricity to make any form of heat on a boat is usually a disaster waiting to happen. Tony Brooks

amethyst
amethyst

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45pm

Hi I installed a Triton Ghost mixer valve shower from B&Q which works very well but it is essential that you have a calorifier to give a regular supply of hot water. If you have an instantaneous gas water heater that gives hot water on demand, it will be almost impossible to conrtol the temperature and it will go to scalding to freezing cold. Best of luck! Arthur Lewis

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13pm

When i purchased my narrow boat 4 years ago the shower had and still has a standard mixer valve that is fed from a Paloma instant water heater and this works very well, however with any shower with mixer control it takes a while to get to know how to caliberate each valve to get the correct temperature, but it works absolutely fine, Alan

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18pm

just a general comment because we cruise rivers and tidal waterways the hot water can get very hot so i fitted an anti scald valve (plumbers merchant screwfix etc) this had the unexpected benefit of making our simple mixer tap into a thermostatic shower and helps reduce water consumption

mikemoorse
mikemoorse

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:07pm

For the last 22 years I have had a MIRA mixer shower fed from the calorifier and it has worked perfectly

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 47.  Total Objects: 166.  Total Unserialized: 7. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.