Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dcparker
dcparker

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57pm

Post Subject: Can I remove a rudder in the water?

Hi experts I caught my rudder on the sill of a lock which has bent the rudder and now it's really stiff to turn the tiller. You can see that the rudder is not straight and it also was popped up when I caught it and when it dropped back down I'm not sure it fell perfectly in place. My question is can the rudder be repaired or removed without taking the boat out of the water. Thanks Charlie

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:26am

Post Subject: Can I remove a rudder in the water?

Much depends upon the exact design of your rudder gear. In general I would say yes, you can do it as long as you have sufficient depth of water to drop the shaft downwards and as long as you are willing to get into the water if required. Remember to fix a rope the the hole in the upstand at the back of the rudder before you start. It will help you haul it out - they tend to be heavy. Most probably require the swan-neck and upper bearing (if fitted) to be removed so the whole assembly can be lifted out of the skeg, moved slightly sideways and the dropped down. On others you can remove the blade and pull the shaft up. Yet others have a small coupling just below the uxter plate that can be undone and the blade removed without disturbing the shaft. However if it is stiff in both directions I would suspect you have bent the shaft and that probably requires the attention of a forge or large welding torch plus a large hammer or press. Just check the the blade has not dropped to one side of the skeg. If it has it is usually possible to lift it and drop it back into the hole in/on the skeg. Inspect it via the weed hatch. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.