Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38pm

Post Subject: Re-Varnish

Hi The varnish on my narrow boat walls / cupboard doors is starting to look tired etc and could do with some kind of make over. Can you give me some advice on how to re-varnish the walls and doors and any tips you may have. Or am I better off just leaving it as it is or getting a professional in. Any advice grateful. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30pm

I am no painter and what I say is based on what the painters did at the hirefleet when dealing with wooden boats. If the present varnish is not chipped, flaking, blistering or scratched back to bare wood I would give a good scrub down with sugar soap solution, rinse and when dry give the surface a good rubdown with fine wet & dry. Then apply another thin coat or two of varnish. If the surface is damaged I fear you may have to scrape all the old varnish off (they used a short length old hacksaw blade, teeth first into a cut across a length of wood and the sharpened along the back edge. Then rub down with varying grades of wet & dry to get a smooth surface. First coat of varnish is usually thinned by between 10 & 20% so it soaks into the wood. Then build up some coats rubbing down between each coat. When I did some of JennyB I used paint stripper rather than scraping but it only did an OK sort of job, scraping would have given a better overall colour. I hope a painter will be along to give you chapter and verse. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:43pm

Should have added that take care if any of it is veneer. Too enthusiastic application of either scraper or wet & dry can go right through the veneer. TB

Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29pm

Thanks Tony, I will give it a try inside a cupboard and see how it turns out.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.