Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
steing
steing

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13pm

Post Subject: Generator kw?

Hi Tony. I am going to by a petrol Generator. But I'm not shore how many kw the generator have to be. Most days I will only charge battery, and also If I wont to run a washing machine without to run the engine. Technical Have 2500 kw inverter. 3 * 135 amp Dom battery. Hope you can advise on this. Regards Stein

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04pm

Post Subject: Generator kw?

Sorry, not enough information to give an answer. I need the full data-sheet for the inverter so I can see if it is capable of taking the generator output and supplementing it with inverted output. Some can, probably most can't. I will also need to know the alternator output and the current rating for the washing machine. If you have any thoughts of charging the batteries via the generator's 12V output please forget it. You also need some form of mains driven battery charger for the generator to power. Again sometimes this comes within a "Combi" inverter and again most probably do not. Even with all that information something called "the power factor" may mess everything up. Only considering the facts as stated I would calculate that you need something like a 3kW generator to provide an equivalent to your inverter at full output BUT make sure it has a good ability to supply equipment's starting surge. Actually I suspect a smaller generator could deal with the washing machine and the battery charging but can not say until I have all the facts. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.