Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dennis.hol
dennis.hol

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17pm

Post Subject: Removing swan neck

i am new to narrowboating. i bought an Aqualine madison last year and the brass tiller bar is jammed on. I have applied heat/WD40/and attempted to coax it with a hammer to no avail, does anyone know a simple way? The swan neck is showing some rust and I would like to remove that also to get it repainted,I have removed nut and allen screw but it will not move, i am wary of using too much force in case I cause damage. Any advise would be gratfully received. many thanks. Dennis

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29am

Post Subject: Removing swan neck

I would suggest that you contact Aqualine: Narrowbeam and widebeam enquiries: Blisworth Sales Office: 01604 859 376 or Mercia Marina Sales Office: 01283 707 357 and ask them to be absolutely sure. If you have tries significant heat the bar may have been fixed with some form of adhesive. Check the i.d. with them, and make sure you can easily get a replacement should you damage it. I suspect two or three blow-lamps and three people may be required to get it hot enough, but that will probably discolour the metal. I can not be 100% sure about the swan neck but I suspect it is on a taper. Either try an automotive puller or hold a sledge hammer against one SIDE of the boss and give the other side several good hard blows with the mooring hammer or a very large ordinary hammer. This will normally shock tapers apart unless they have rusted together. In both cases leave the nut in place but loosened several turns until the swan neck comes loose. This will protect the thread from damage. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.