Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
EBACTOREM
EBACTOREM

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33pm

Post Subject: INVERTER

I HAVE A VICTRON MODEL ATLAS COMBI 12/1500,WHEN LEAVING IT ON IN CHARGE MODE WHILST AWAY FROM BOAT,WITH IT CONNECTED TO SHORE POWER,DO I LEAVE THE MAIN BATTERY CUT OUT SWITCH ON AS WELL,MY CONCERN BEING THAT THIS WOULD FOR INSTANCE KEEP THINGS LIKE THE FRIDGE ON AS WELL WHILST AWAY FROM THE BOAT FOR LONG PERIODS.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26am

It all depends how the boat has been wired. I hope the battery charger output has been wired so that you can leave the charging on but with the rest of the 12v electrics isolated but it may not be. You will have to check. I am also concerned that your fridge circuit does not have its own on/off switch. It may be a good idea to trip your 240 volt system mcb/rcb before you connect the shoreline so the mains circuit is isolated from the inverter. However again it depends upon how the mains part is wired. One other thing. I fully agree with leaving the charger on BUT do not do it if any battery is showing signs of needing frequent topping up. This could indicates a faulty battery and if it is left charging until the cell goes dry the battery just might explode. Its very rare but not worth risking. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55pm

Tony, I have a similar issue, how do I check the cicuit, as I don't have a wiring diagram, for that part of the circuit. Duncan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06am

I can not risk you killing yourself by trying to following advice about testing the mains side of things so I can only answer for the battery charging bit. Engine off. Land line off. master switches OPEN. Put voltmeter across the battery and it should read 12.8 volts or less as long as you have let the batteries stand for several hours or used them. Turn shoreline on. If the voltage stays the same then the master switch is isolating the charger from the batteries. If it rises then the charger is connected directly and not via the master switch. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.