Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
charlie13
charlie13

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:16am

Post Subject: bow thrusters

hi we have a sea otter and our bow thruster have stopped working which we dont know why we have replaced the battery but they still do not work can anyone advise us please as whart the trouble is we havr rang sea otter but they never answer the phone many thanks carolyn

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41pm

Dear Carolyn, it would help if we knew the make and age of the bow-thruster. One thing we do know is that Sea Otter did not make it so the first thing to do is to look on the actual thruster itself and on the control to see who made it. Then ring them and ask about a local service agent. I will assume that you have made sure all the connections on the motor are tight and clean. If its fairly old then the brushes in the motor might be worn out. You can inspect these on some units by removing a slotted cover on the top of the motor. They may also have stuck in their holders. The control at the back of the boat only energises one of two contactors. These are very heavy electro-magnetic switches. One for left and one for right. If someone listens close to the bow-thruster and hears a clunk as the control is used then the problem is most likely to be the motor, brushes or contactors. If there is no clunk then it is more likely to be the control or a wiring fault. Check the back of the control for a multi-plug, it may be a bit down the wiring. If you find one make sure it is clean and tight. I would note that I have had a few questions this year about Vetus units not working and it seems to be a fault in the control. Tony Brooks

charlie13
charlie13

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:41pm

ITS 5 years old as we had the boat from new the make i do not know but will find out many thanks for you help though

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.