Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bikerknits
bikerknits

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26pm

Post Subject: Cooker

Hi I have like most boats a gas cooker. But I have seem the beaty that is an Range cooker made in a special size that fits a narrowboat. However I am worried about this. Wont'ed if they use any more than gas to run, hence the price of disel and also the fitting and i'm worried about making a whole inthe roof. But my thinking was that they would save a boater from falling in iun the winter hen you have top change bottle over and they also do heating and the hot water. Has anyone got one? WHat are they like? Thanks, Tracy

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:19pm

Post Subject: Cooker

I hope other readers who have one will reply to you. Now then term Range Cooker does not sit well with your description. I think that you are talking about a stove like a mini-Aga that is fired by diesel. The oil fired Aga seem efficient and reliable. I think all this type of diesel stove use the same sort of oil control valve and burner so, unlike the reports I hear about diesel hobs, I think it will be satisfactory. However I also suspect it will make the boat horribly hot in the summer so think very carefully about that. I also have concerns about the price of diesel in the long term. I suspect that the present UK duty system for boaters may be declared illegal by the EU and you could end up paying road diesel prices for cooking & heating because it will not be worth the suppliers installing separate tanks and pumps for the few boats that have separate tanks for heating & electrical generation fuel. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.