Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
floken
floken

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12pm

Post Subject: Water Pump

High Folks I have a Aqua Jet Uno Max WPS 2.9 water pump that works well when the cold tap is open but pulses when the hot tap is open. Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? Many thanks Ken Clark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14am

Would you be new to boating? Try turning the cold tap off a little and then it will pulse as well. This is normal behaviour except you normally get pulsing on both taps. The pump has a pressure switch on it to turn the pump off as it reaches its designed pressure. If water can escape form the outlet (cold tap) faster than the pump can deliver it then the pressure will drop slightly but the pump will run all the time. If the water can not escape faster then the pump can deliver the pressure will build up, the pump will shut off, the pressure will fall so the pump comes on and so on. I suspect you have your pump at the front of the boat and a calorifier at the back with a galley towards the centre so the total pipe run for hot water is about three times that for the cold causing friction. If you really must "cure" it try piping the supply to the calorifier and the main hot pipe in 22mm pipe instead of 15mm. You could also try a larger tap. However its normal, now accept it and forget about it. If you are new to boating I bet you will find loads more "odd" things to worry you so please do not hesitate to come back. Tony Brooks

floken
floken

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37pm

Hi Tony Many thanks for your quick response. You were right on all of your assumptions. The annoying thing is that the pump has been running without pulsing for 6 months - it has only recently started. As you say, I'll have to get use to it. Thanks Ken

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49pm

I have assumed that you only have one water pump but some builders fit two. If you have two pumps perhaps the hot one has altered its pressure switch settings, but even so its not worth worrying over. You may have an accumulator fitted to the system (usually like a big oval ball thing)and this can APPEAR to stop the pump pulsing. Actually it only extends the pulse period so you can (say) fill a kettle within one cycle. If this has lost all its air pressure it might give the symptoms but there is no point in going further until we know if you have an accumulator or not. Is there any chance a dripping hot tap has reduced the outlet diameter with lime scale? - worth a look. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.