Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
deadfish
deadfish

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:04pm

Post Subject: High oil pressure on bmc 1.5 diesel

Hi, sorry I put the following under the wrong heading. I have a bmc 1.5 diesel that hasn't been run for about 15 years I don't know the history other than that. The oil pressure is showing 60lb psi both with the throttle open and whilst idleing. The manual states 50lb psi or 15lb psi idle. I have changed the oil and filter and the guage is manual and not electrical. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:02pm

Post Subject: High oil pressure on bmc 1.5 diesel

The advice must still be get the actual oil pressure tested so you can rule out a faulty gauge. If that reading is true and you have not put some incredibly thick oil in it then we are looking at really odd things like someone has stretched or packed the oil pressure relief valve spring. A high oil pressure on idle is normal when the engine is cold. I assume that you have given readings from when the engine is nice and hot. Tony Brooks P.S. those pressures tend to be minimums, usually too much pressure is OK.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.