Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18am

Post Subject: Toilet Blue

I have been advised that toilet blue is not advised for holding tanks supplied by electric flush toilets as it has a detrimental affect on their seals and operating components, is this correct?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08am

I just wish the people who started this sort of misinformation could be identified. First of all "blue" is a generic term that covers several different products so what is true for one may not be true for another. Secondly all but the electric cassette toilets normally flush with plain water. Either from the domestic supply or from the river/canal so the only place any additive should be is in the holding tank to control smells, aid decomposition etc and in one case preserve the contents. (However all that is a different complicated question). Electric cassettes may use a special fluid in their fresh water tanks which is specifically designed for that purpose. Some old fashioned recercs were converted to electric flush but you would not want to use those without blue because of the smell, colour of the flush and the ability to see previous deposits in the flush water! A relatively new product seems to have been put on the market by a large temporary toilet supplier and their product (as do others) claim it helps protect the seals. If you have a fresh water flush holding tank I can think of very good reasons for not using conventional blue but it has nothing to do with seals etc. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02pm

Tony, It was a comment from a hire company operative when pumping out my holding tank. He asked the type of toilet and suggested that they should not use the "Blue", however,I must admit that it didn't make sense to me after I thought about it. I have an electric flush into a holding tank and use an eco friendly additive similar to Biomagic. Thanks Duncan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11am

If anyone is unsure about the properties of the holding tank additive they are putting down the toilet then stop adding it via the toilet and add it down the pump out pipe. I still can not see what seals any blue will come into contact with on a vacu-flush toilet and the impeller on a maccerator toilet has to be strong enough to chop up the waste and paper so I can not see how blue will damage it. As far as I know neither type of toilet uses valves. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.