Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23pm

Post Subject: Bilge pump wiring.

HiTony, out of curiosity I thought I would get intimate with the bilge pump switch on our Sea Otter. I discovered that the permanent negative supply wire is NOT permanent but is actually disconnected when the battery isolation switch relay is operated. This means that the bilge pump cannot work in an emergency when the boat is unattended. Am I correct in thinking that the pump should have a permanent negative connection ? ( There IS a permanent positive to the float switch ) Thanks Mark.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32pm

Tony, please note that my first sentence should read ' bilge pump AND switch'. Thanks Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20am

I find it strange that anyone would use a relay in association with the battery master switch but then some people just love complicating things. There may be some perceived issue with the Sea Otter being made from aluminium which is sometimes recommended as an anode material so perhaps someone has decided they want the whole hull totally isolated from the electrical system when the boat is not in use but it is only a guess. Your problem could just as easily be a mistake or the result of some misunderstanding. If this was a steel boat I would have no hesitation in saying the negative to the pump could be permanently connected but in this case I think I must advise you to speak to Sea Otter before you do anything. One other point. All the Sea Otters I have seen use a packless sterngland that should not leak so that plus good drained around deck plates should make draining the bilge a rare occurrence. If your stern gland is dripping it may require attention. Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46pm

Tony,thanks for your helpful reply. I have contacted Sea Otter & they are of the opinion that an incorrect connection has been made, the pump should have a permanent negative allowing it to operate when the batteries are isolated from the remaining wiring. I will investigate / amend in the near future. regards, Mark.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.