Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Gaven1
Gaven1

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:59pm

Post Subject: Heating and hot water

Hi, I am in the process of buying a system for heating the water and heating the narrowboat. Can you advise the best option, whether it be gas fired, i.e. Alde or Diesel, i.e. Webasto or Eberspacher. Presently it does not have any system so am starting from scratch. Thanks for any advice

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:13pm

Before you do anything you need to go onto some internet forums and research the long term reliability of the Wabasto/Mikuni/Eberspacher type boilers plus the cost of repairs. Next you have to think about the long term price of diesel. It seems some EU countries are trying to get our method of declaring a split between propulsion and other uses declared illegal. If that comes to pass you can expect to be paying garage prices plus a bit (low volumes at waterside outlet) unless you have a separate heating tank AND can find a supplier willing/able to sell you rebated diesel. There is also the Hurricane diesel boiler and some drip feed diesel boilers/stoves that may have a better reliability record than some. Gas will go up in price along with fuel but you are unlikely to be charged propulsion duty on it. The 292x Alde is simple and I find reliable but has a reputation for high gas use. The new 3xxx series can not be used with copper plumbing so you will need a stainless steel calorifier if you choose this unit. It does however use less gas having electronic ignition rather than a pilot light. I think it is not coincidental that so many narrow-boaters have chosen solid fuel heating. I chose a solid fuel stove plus an Alde 2928 for the autumn & spring evenings and to get the boat warm quickly. In hindsight it would have been better to get a stove with a back boiler and pipe it to circulate by gravity and plumb the Alde into the system. To be honest many people refuse to use solid fuel and are happy to pay the higher running costs. Tony Brooks

Gaven1
Gaven1

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:32pm

Thanks Tony for the fast response. I presume copper cannot used due to aluminium in the Alde 3XXX heating element. PS I am in the process of buying our first narrowboat and find the website and forum very useful and informative. I am sure I will be using it again in the coming months. Gaven

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:38pm

It would have been faster had my son not called in half way through my answer. If you are new to boating you may also find my website useful, you are free to print out the notes etc. www.tb-training.co.uk. Also have a look at the Canal World Forum for a more diverse set of opinions. TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.