Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Alan.y
Alan.y

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:08pm

Post Subject: Non starting 1.5 bmc

HELP, just started life on a boat and can't restart my bmc, put new fuel filter in, bleed the system with the lift pump, started, run fine, next day wouldn't start, now the lift pump doesn't seem to be doing anything, when I bleed the system first time diesel was pumping out in spurts, now I can't seem to be able to bleed it, is it common for lift pumps to suddenly stop working ! First diesel I've had so am a bit retarded. Hello everyone by the way, Alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:06pm

Have you made sure the stop control is in the run position or is it an electric stop? How much smoke comes out of the exhaust when cranking, a few wisps or clouds? Step by step exactly what did you do to bleed the system and where/what bleed points/screws did you undo? How long did it run fine for - several hours or a few minutes? Which BMC engine? Those answers will help me diagnose possible faults and advise you further. If the whole system is full of fuel the lift pump priming lever will all but just flop up and down and nothing will appear to happen. It will do similar if the engine stopped in the wrong place so first of all give the engine a spin on the starter and try the pump again. If that does not work I suspect you have some air trapped in the injector pump but need to know exactly how you bled it. Tony Brooks

Alan.y
Alan.y

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:05pm

Thanks Tony, got her started, that's after someone tried to help and snapped off my anti stall nut, £25 for a new nut, that hurt ! Alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:23pm

Please, in the future leave that bleed point alone. Normally these pumps will bleed perfectly well from the 8mm headed bleed screw on the side of the cylindrical body of the injector pump. Usually facing backwards. Do you know what the problem was? Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.