Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
realmacaw
realmacaw

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:55am

Post Subject: Where to put a shoreline hook up socket

Hi, I am new to narrowboating and have a semi-trad Liverpool narrowboat . I have purchased a 16amp flush mounted socket with a flap for a shoreline hookup, but now I am wondering where I can put it. I was going to put it on the stern portside so I could hide all the wiring in a locker on the other side. Unfortunately the doors open wide so they will knock against the socket when they are open (definately a problem when chugging along)could the socket be put elseware - discreetly on the side perhaps??

Where to put a shoreline hook up socket
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:31pm

Post Subject: Where to put a shoreline hook up socket

This is a mains item and mains can kill. It is clear that you are intent on bringing mains power om board but it is far from clear that you have the necessary knowledge and experience to do so safely. What are your thoughts on galvanic isolators or isolation transformers? What is an RCD and what does it do? Why is it important to earth the hull? What are the rules in respect of Mains/12/24VOLT Wiring, proximity between mains wires, 12v wires, fuel pipes and gas pipes? What types and colours of cables should you use? If you can answer these questions then I will give my opinion, but if you can not please do a lot of research or employ a professional - your life may depend upon it! Sorry Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.