Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:32pm

Post Subject: Alternator/RPM

I have a BMC 1.8 with 70Amp Alternator fitted 2 years ago. The rev counter will sometimes change from 2000 rpm to 2400 rpm without any change in engine speed. The change can last for hours at a time and is always 400 rpm difference. Slowing the engine makes no difference - the range is always the same. It seems to show the higher figure when batteries are fully charged. Is it a faulty alternator or something that can be corrected?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:49pm

Post Subject: Alternator/RPM

If you had said that the revcounter was erratic and the variations had no pattern I would have said there was probably a bad connection in the alternator or wiring or faulty diode within the alternator. As this seems entirely consistent and almost predictable I am at a loss. I suspect it could be a problem with the revcounter electronics because all the alternator does is supply a series of pulses at a frequency related to speed and I can see no way that those pulses can increase with no increase in alternator/engine speed. As you say it seems related to fully charged batteries I wonder if it related to heat causing a problem in the chips inside the revcounter but its only a guess. I must say that my revcounter's hour meter produces gobbldy gook with well charge batteries and extra solar input so at a guess I would say revcounter but I doubt is is worth doing anything about it. You could well end up paying a lot of money and still have the problem. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.