Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Nicholas Carr
Nicholas Carr

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03pm

Post Subject: old stern gear

Hello,can you help please,I have just had my narrowboat out of the water for new propeller and stern gland packing.The engineer said that the stuffing box was now not made anymore,and next time the boat comes out the water it should be all renewed.The stuffing box only has 2 MOUNTING securing holes,and this is what seems to be the problem,the ones available now have 4 mounting holes.The prop shaft size is 1 1/2O.D.Do you know if and who I can purchase the old type stuffing box from,and also the stern tube.Many thanks Nick...

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:27pm

Post Subject: old stern gear

I do not understand this question. If the stuffing box was badly worn he should not have repacked it. If it is serviceable you do not need a new one. In that case the worse you would need to do is to possibly flatten some slightly over-sized metric gland packing. I also see no reason why a four hole flange needs securing with all four bolts. One on either side should do the job. Possibly the outer shaft bearing is worn but that is not the stuffing box and usually the bearing is a brass tube so any engineer should have local contacts to get such things machined and made. I smell a rat on the basis of what you have told me but remember I do not know what the reasons are for needing a new gland. If the engineer want to fit all four bolts I can not see the difficulty in drilling your existing cross swim support or even welding a a wider plate to it. Regrettably I do not have a comprehensive set of suppliers' catalogues to check for you so perhaps a reader can help. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.