Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
waterman...
waterman...

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:49pm

Post Subject: Holding tank odour

I have a holding tank and when we flush the toilet, we get a very strong smell wafting around the back of the boat, I suspect it is coming from the tank breather hole. Are there any products that I can add to the tank via toilet flush to stop the smell??

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:02pm

If you want the best answer you need to be a bit more specific about the toilet. It could be a dump through, a macerator, or a vacuum toilet. My suspicion is that its a vacuum toilet and in my view this type of toilet is all but guaranteed to do what you describe as the vacuum pump vents air from a sealed tank to atmosphere. It is likely to be worse if anyone has ever put traditional blue into the tank because traditional blue kills most of the bacteria present in the tank and tries to preserve the solids. Only the strongest bacteria survive and those are the anaerobic bacteria that make smells as they break down the waste. What you need is the aerobic bacteria that break down the effluent without smell but those need a good supply of oxygen which you can not get in a sealed vacuum tank so they die, leaving the smelly ones to breed. You may well find that an activated charcoal filter is available for the vacuum pump outlet or you may find you already have one that needs changing. If not you could try nearly any of the holding tank additives that say they encourage aerobic bacteria. If you have another type of toilet please let me know because there is much you can do for the other two systems. Tony Brooks

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:03pm

god forbid but i do take issue with this reply i have a vacuum wc and find this system excelent i fitted an extra vent as tony has described but with no improvement the problem is when the tank is part full too low in volume for the bacteria to grow it gets smelly so i put an addative not noticed much difference between products when tank is part full this resolves the problem

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:03pm

god forbid but i do take issue with this reply i have a vacuum wc and find this system excelent i fitted an extra vent as tony has described but with no improvement the problem is when the tank is part full too low in volume for the bacteria to grow it gets smelly so i put an addative not noticed much difference between products when tank is part full this resolves the problem

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.