Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
steve2...
steve2...

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:02pm

Post Subject: prop shaft

Hi all i need to fit a new prop shaft in my boat the stern tube is 35mm internal measurment what dia prop shaft do i need to buy? many thanks . total novice

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:23pm

Post Subject: prop shaft

Is that the ID of the actual tube or the bearing/gland? The hole in the gland and the bearing is normally smaller than that of the tube so that is the size you need to ascertain. If the 35mm is the ID of the gland/bearing then I doubt it is an accurate measurement because I would have expected some decimal parts of a mm giving 35.x mm. This would give the small clearance required for a 35mm shaft and it is far easier to machine the bearing & gland a little oversize than it is to reduce the whole length of the shaft. Why did you not measure the old shaft - if it is because you do not have it I am a little concerned that you may not have the gland & aft bearing. Indeed the tube may have been set up for a non-traditional bearing and gland so my advice is to ask some fellow boaters to allow you to look at their boats so you can see a number of shafts, gland & tubes so you can satisfy yourself you have all the parts. It may well be easier to get professional help especially as you will probably need the engine realigning to the new shaft and that brings up the question of any flexible shaft coupling. Although it is possible to change a shaft with the boat still in the water I suspect it would be wise to get the boat out for this task so the professional help could be part of the cost. I am sorry but you simply do not give enough information and background to be much help.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.