Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
June123
June123

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55am

Post Subject: Bad Paintwork

Taking delivery of new build, not happy with paintwork along 1 side of the boat, appearance is:- small hard bubbles/blisters, and depressions/dimples, happens in lines, and randomly - what can cause this please, builder is happy to re-do, but we now lack confidence, as allowing only 1 or 2 days to re do the job ? is that enough time, to take back layers, dry, repaint etc.Your advice, reassurance would be appreciated June

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02pm

Post Subject: Bad Paintwork

I am not a paint expert but it sounds very much like either micro blisters or rain/mist droplets settling on wet paint. Microblisters occour when insufficient time is left between coats or too thick coats so solvent gets trapped behind a dry paint film. If can also be caused by moisture on the surface being painted or water held in contact with the paint for long periods - like under wet rag or prolonged snow or ice. I suppose if he intends to rub the paint down to a smooth surface and topcoat a couple of days would do, but I also have doubts - especially if he rubs through to primer or bare metal in places. As I said I am no expert and Phil does not seem to respond to the Forum so perhaps you should email the Editor to see if he can get Phil's take on this. I would ask any other readers who have expertise in this area to comment. Consider getting a paid for expert opinion before allowing the builder to do remedial work. That way, if in some months time it all goes wrong again you will have proof that the job was not of an acceptable standard. The expert should also be able to give much better advice over what needs to be done. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.