Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tom
Tom

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:39am

Post Subject: Gearbox difficulty

Hello. My 45' narrowboat is powered by a Vetus 4.15 engine with a Technodrive TMC60 gearbox. I am having difficulty removing the bolt on top of the gearbox to allow filling with new gear oil. Currently I am refilling via the dipstick tube which is extremely slow and difficult when bent double in a confined space. I have obtained socket extension bars to increase torque but I am worried about sheering the head off the bolt and what might the remedy be if this happens. Can you please help. Thank you. Tom

canalboat
canalboat

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29pm

Hi Tom The filler bolt is, as you say, on top of the gearbox and takes a 27mm spanner or socket; it unscrews anti-clockwise. If you're trying to remove the the correct bolt it should unscrew relatively easily. If it won't budge, which is unusual,we would suggest asking an engineer to have a look at it to avoid damaging the aluminium thread in the housing. You can check that you're on the correct bolt in the owner's manual; if you don't have one, you can download one at www.vetus.co.uk in the section marked manuals

Tom
Tom

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:36pm

Thank you for your speedy and helpful response. I have been using the 27mm socket as advised in the manual and confirmed by you so I am confident that I am using the right bolt. I shall spray the bolt with WD40 and allow this to soak for a while then try again exercising care. If this does not work I will enlist the asistance of an engineer. I will let you know the outcome in case it may be of assistance to your readers/visitors to your website. Thanks again. Tom.

Tom
Tom

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:23pm

I have finally managed to free the 27mm bolt on the top of the gearbox. I gave the bolt a couple of sharp taps on the head with a hammer then placed a ring spanner over the bolt and tapped this sideways gently with my lump hammer. I hope this information helps as I was quoted in the region of £45 per hour for an Engineer to assist. Tom.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.