Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Nicholas Carr
Nicholas Carr

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:57pm

Post Subject: stern tube packing

Hi Guys,can you tell me how many rings of packing are suppose to go into the stuffing box,on a 1 1/2 diameter shaft stern gland,for a narrow-boat please.some have said 2 rings,others have said 4 rings of packing.size of packing is 6mm.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15pm

Post Subject: stern tube packing

Until you repack yours I do no think anyone will know the answer to that question. 3 is a very common number but I have seen some hire cruisers with far more. I assume yours is a typical stuffing box with the packing in a tube around the shaft and a pusher that fits into the tube in front of the packing. The important thing is make sure your last ring of packing is a little BELOW flush with the top of the tube. Otherwise with it flush or proud you will find it extremely difficult to get the pusher into the tube. A lot more info on packing glands on Tb-Training.co.uk in the maintenance notes. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.