Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rhianp8191
rhianp8191

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18am

Post Subject: multi fuel stoves

Hi my partner had his boat bilt from new is fitted the radiators on the left side of the boat and fire on the right, the heating has not worked properly since he had the boat as when the fire was lit the pipes connecting the rads kept blowing,he has disconnected the rads to the fire now and has an aldi boiler that only heats 1 radiator this has been fitted on the right side with pipes going back to the hotwater tank and to the rest of the rads on the left have you any ideas what we can do to solve this as we are thinking of living on it next winter!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:16am

Post Subject: multi fuel stoves

Dear Rhian, if you want a specific answer to this particular problem I need to know a lot more and this will probably start by me asking for a diagram of both systems with all items shown plus pipe dimensions etc. If you want a few pointers then I think the most truthful answer would be for your boyfriend to do some research so he can install systems that work. My first reservation is why is the Alde only supplying one radiator? My Alde 2000 series supplies 3 radiators and hot water. Now the fact that the stove is on one side of the boat and the radiators on the other suggest to me that a very bad planning decision was made during construction. This configuration rules out the system circulation by convection (gravity) which would be the preferred method for people living aboard because it minimises electrical load. As gravity circulation is now out you will have to rely upon a pump - he did install a pump to circulate the water, didn't he? The net question is related to the pipes "blowing off" and the implications of that first poor planning decisions. If he used plastic pipes I trust he only used it once the pipework was 1 metre from the stove (or boiler). Before that copper should be used to resist heat. I must ask if he knows how to fit the connectors he used, some push together and will not leak, but to lock them you have to twist a sleeve. Did he use the pipe strengtheners or did he just push plain pipe into the fitting? Now I need to know about how he provided for keeping the system full of water and also how he allowed for expansion of the water when heated plus the venting of steam. If he did use the pipe joints correctly I fear he made no provision for expansion of the water and venting of steam in the event of circulation failure. If I am right about this you are both very lucky - he installed a bomb and good fortune made a pipe blow off before the stove or something exploded. If you can draw the system and email it to Tony@tb-training.co.uk I will see if I can be more specific about what to do. If you do decide to do this please also describe exactly how he used the pipe fittings and attach a digi-pic of one. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.