Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43pm

Post Subject: Inverter

Hi Tony I have an inverter on my boat (Mobitronic 600W continuous / 700W intermittent switch mode inverter, type 860-012) and I want to upgrade it. I was hoping to get the same model but a bigger output hoping the connetions would be the same. Looking on the internet I have found ( Mobitronic 2000W 12V INVERTER PRODUCT XM_180203)and (Mobitronic PUR SINEWAVE INVERTER 2000W 12VProduct Code: AFX_8_70076). Can you please tell me what the difference is as one is approx twice the price of the other. Any help you can give in helping me understand the difference between them all. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18am

First of all the connections are the last thing you need to worry about as long as you ascertain that the neutral of the new inverter can be bonded to the hull to provide an earth or the mains earth connection on the inverter will allow any fault current to bypass your RCD. This sounds complicate but it is a vital safety concern. Other than that and as long as you avoid remote controls you should just have the mains (out) connections plus the 12v (in) connections and I am concerned that you do not appreciate that you will have to replace all the 12v cables between the batteries and inverter because as you increase the size of the inverter you increase the current they draw and thus the size of cable needed. From the figures you quote the current will go up from a bit over 70 amps to over 200 amps at full output. You also need to take account of the length of the cable run when calculating the size of cable you need. Now your question. Your present inverter makes some kind of approximation of the mains wave form which could be a square wave, a saw tooth or something in between. It is likely to alter depending upon the load. This is fine for many heating applications and simple power tools but the more sophisticated and the more electronics the item uses the more likely it is to not work, be destroyed, make more noise or overheat. Pure Sine Wave means it makes AC electricity with the same or usually a better wave form than the mains at home so anything will work. However they usually use more electricity to work themselves and it could end up using about 5 amps to run itself whilst providing about on third of an amp to charge a mobile phone battery. If I needed a large inverter for particular equipment I would also have a small one (150 watt) for charging small devices. This answer is not specific to the products you quote. Tony Brooks

Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32am

Thanks Tony for the advise, I think I will leave it to the experts to fit one.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.50 seconds.