Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dn52gas
dn52gas

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:13pm

Post Subject: fuel guages

Hi, I have a 1973 fernie narrowbaot with the original fuel tank and presumbably the original fuel guage sender. My problem is that the guage shows full mor empty depending on which spade I connect the wire.Should there be two wires? One going to earth ?. Where can I get or what should I use as a seal if I remove the sender it is side fitted in the tank. Thanks, David

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43pm

Post Subject: fuel guages

One of the spades probably fits straight onto one of the mounting screws or is spot welded onto the body of the gauge. This one is the negative terminal but as this is a steel boat the negative connection is probably via the hull and battery "earth" connection. This is not good practise because it should really have a separate negative lead. However this is not the cause of the problem. The other blade should be riveted onto an insulating washer. This is the one the wire from the gauge should go to and I bet it is the one that gives the empty reading. I think the gauge is OK and that the float in the sender unit is full of fuel so it will no longer float - or the resistance track in the sender has failed. I suspect that the unit is a normal automotive one being secured by a rind of 6 screws in a circular plate but I would not be happy mounting one on the side of the tank because I fear it could leak fuel from the riveted connection (although it should not). A new gasket will come with the new sender. If it is retained by screws you may be able to get the sender out without damaging the gasket but even if you did you could make a new one out of cork gasket material. If this is a conventional fuel tank with a top mounted filler straight into the tank my advice would be to use a dipstick assuming 4 inches above the bottom of the tank is empty. Its far simpler, cheaper and not prone to leaking. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.63 seconds.