Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Illuma
Illuma

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23am

Post Subject: Creighton Cruiser 32' Ballast / Wake question

Hi all, I have a Creighton Cruiser 32' centre cockpit with a sundeck on the back. The problem I have is when it gets windy I have to put more power on as soon as my speed increases slightly I start to create a big wake. When I see other pictures of these boats the look allot lower at the back and allot higher at the front than mine. My boat has an inboard 1.6XLD engine and the prop is driven by a Borg warner 2:2.10 gearbox. The engine has plenty of power but increasing the revs makes little difference to the speed, I am not trying to get this thing on the plane just get some extra power when needed without the wake. Would altering the ballast to raise the bow and lower the stern help? Thanks in advance!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:16am

I doubt that your hull will do much more than about 6.5 knots before wave making becomes excessive so the first thing to consider is just how fast you are going when it makes waves. The fact that you say that increasing the revs makes little difference in speed suggests to me that you are trying to exceed the hull design speed and when any displacement boat is driven like this an excessive wake is the result. If it was a propeller problem I would have expected you to be complaining about black exhaust smoke so I think it is an attempt to over-speed a displacement boat. In my experience tail light boats tend to be a bit directionally unstable with a tenancy to be very wheel tender and sheer about with the slightest of rudder angle so my first action would be to ballast the stern down so it takes a similar attitude to other Creightons. This may well give you a lot more directional stability so you do not need to increase the power. If that does not work try bolting extra length to the rudder. In know some GRP boats used a bolt on wooden keel but I do not know if the Creighton did. See if you can find one that is out of the water to compare with yours. You may find there is a bit missing - but at this stage I doubt it! Tony Brooks

Illuma
Illuma

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05am

Thanks Tony-B I will try and alter the ballast to get the back end down a bit more and raise the front. What I do find is if I go too slow I have little to no steering control where the boat in front is coping fine!

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.