Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
soll22
soll22

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:44pm

Post Subject: blacking

the bottom is presently blacked with comastic. Is two pack the way to go what preparation would be required .Would it be worth the effort

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:10pm

Post Subject: blacking

Comastic is a tar based blacking so for maximum compatibility anything you put over it should also be tar based but I think you can apply bitumen based coatings over well cured tar based ones. As far as two pack is concerned I must refer you to the manufacturers application and safety sheets for a definitive answer. As you make no attempt to specify what two pack product you have in mind I suspect you are asking for confirmation of what seems like a good idea at this time. I can not help with that because you do not specify a product. I THINK one of the International two pack products can be applied over sound existing coating but I know the usual recommendation is some form of grit/sand slurry blasting to totally clean the hull and then using a full two pot system. Although two pot coatings are normally tougher than single pot ones I suspect you will still end up with plenty of battle damage back to bare steel. Touching up with a single pack product is far easier than mixing and applying small quantities of two pack. (With some products there may be safety issues - especially if they are isocyanate formulations. I also notice that some two packs have weathered to a fairly light grey colour which I do not find attractive on a narrowboat but that is just a personal preference. Then there is the cost of the preparation and actual coating to consider. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.