Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
warbler
warbler

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14am

Post Subject: Water Pumps

My water pump gives a single 'pulse' every 10-20 seconds when up to pressure. The only leak I can find is from the pressure release valve on top of the calorifier and that is a small dribble. The presuure release valve is rated at 3 bar, the pump at cutoff at 2bar/30psi. The system has an accumulator and the only source of hot water is the calorifier. Should I change the pump for one with a lower cut off rating? Manyb thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:54pm

Post Subject: Water Pumps

The PRV should NOT dribble. It should only leak as cool water in the calorifier is being heated and is thus expanding. The fact that you have an accumulator will further reduce the volume "leaked". You may well have scale trapped under the PRV seat so with the pump on and taps closed give the knob on the PRV several turns. This jumps the seating up and down and will usually flush scale etc. away. If that fails to solve the problem you could well have back-leakage through the valves in the pump. Try fitting an ordinary plumbers flap type non-return valve into the pump inlet line. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.