Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
RichardW
RichardW

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54pm

Post Subject: Stern Tube

Hi I have a 57' narrowboat and the stern tube has always leaked when in anything more than gentle reverse. Its not the grease gland that leaks, that's fine- its because I suspect when it was built the stern tube wasn't sealed properly when it was screwed together.Hence it leaks water from the rear threads and grease from the front threads. I'm just trying to understand that part of the stern tube before the day comes when I get it out of the water and sort it. Question is, does the back end of the tube act as any sort of bearing or does the prop shaft merely use it as a waterproof casing? I think I am up to date with the gland end, just need to make sure what to expect when I'm actually working on it- and also if you have any other solutions to my problem?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17am

Assuming a totally conventional setup there should be a bearing at the back end. These are often prevented from spinning by a peg and can be slid out of the tube or rear fitting one the whole thing has been removed. Some builders put a neat appearance over nice tight threads so do not fully tighten the parts so the gland sits square. When you tighten it you may find you have to re-drill the gland mounting plate to get the bolts in. Tony Brooks

RichardW
RichardW

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46am

Thanks for that. The bearing is in the part of the set-up that's welded into the hull?- as you say the back end of the tube. You have obviously seen this before, the grease gland is perfectly aligned and beautiful, but it leaks! If I have to screw the tube and gland further together then the bracket that holds the gland casing will not only be out of line (holes that is) but since its welded to the hull it may be out of position longitudinally? It may be it has to be removed and re-welded?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03pm

I may be wrong about this but I am sure I read somewhere about a boater who had a distance piece/shim made up to fit int the welded in section so the tube screwed hard down onto it giving a slight forward extension to the tube. Thus allowing both ends to be tightened. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.39 seconds.