Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peterlj
peterlj

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:02pm

Post Subject: Fridge

Hello, I have a 4.3 cu.ft slimline fridge installed in my boat. The fridge was supplied by Batts Marine( now no longer trading). To be honest the fridge is now old and I want to replace it, but I cannot find anything on the net. etc to replace it with, The fridge is fitted with a Danfoss compressor and control unit which automatically switches the power over to 240 v when I have an electric hookup. I have been tod that the new breed of 3 way fridges should not be used on boats but cannot for the sake of it understand why. They are used in caravans etc. I would not use gas anyway to power a fridge, to dangerous in my view. Besides the extra pipework at the back invades my space available 85cm h,48cm w,59cm d. Is there anyone you know of who supplies 12v/240v fridges. Thanks for any help you can give. Peter.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:31pm

Post Subject: Fridge thsi is absolutely ideal - but many peole get on well with thsi type pf setup.

First of all you must accept that you are unlikely to get a new fridge of the exact size of the old one but look at http://www.boatfridge.com/ who are probably the market leaders in 12V fridges. I have checked and they have things to fit but the surround may need modification. Danfoss compressors fitted to all these fridges are 12/24 volt only units and Shoreline sell an add on to drive them form the mains. I bet if you look behind you fridge you will find a "black box" that is changes mains (when available) to 12/24 volts. It is just an add on. You could also consider a mains fridge plus suitable inverter but if you do long trips away from mains power I am not sure if this is ideal from a minimal electricity consumption point of view. However many people are happy with this solution. The reason why three-way fridges (and they are not new - we had them in the 1970s) are not a good idea on 12V DC is because 12V DC operation is designed for use between home and a caravan site so no thermostat is provided. Add to this the fact that they are absorption fridges drawing about 8 amps at 12V (yours draws about 4 amps with thermostat) for 24 hours a day and you can see you are very likely to end up flat batteries and tomatoes as solid as rocks. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.