Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03am

Post Subject: getting my shell on the water

Hi, I am just finishing doing up my shell. it has been out of the water for 10 years and has no papers or registration. do you know where i will be able to get these? and what else do i need to legally have my shell on the water? also do you know what BSC stuff i will need as it is empty at the moment, but i will be fitting it out on the water. at what point do i need to contact the BSC examiner? thanks


Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:01am

Post Subject: getting my shell on the water

I do not know what water you intend to put it on so I do not know the navigation authority. If this is on BW waters I think you will need a certificate of insurance covering, as a minimum, the risks demanded by British Waterways plus a current Boat Safety Certificate. This will allow you to license the boat which is also a mandatory requirement. If the boat is just a shell with no engine, gas, electrical or fuel system installed then there is a chance that it may not need a BSC at this time BUT I think it will need one to cover each stage as you proceed. My bets advice is to contact BW Craft Licensing at Leeds and ask them. Also look on the Waterscape website. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.