Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
leonatraj
leonatraj

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57pm

Post Subject: cold cranking rating

Hi Tony, I hope to buy an emergency battery start pack rated at 400 cold cranking,would this be surficiance to start my vetus M3 engine? I have asked the marinisers and they do not know the engines requirements !

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:36pm

Post Subject: cold cranking rating

This is odd - a very similar question has been answered on the Canal World Forum. If Vetus do not have that information I am mystified why you expect me to know AND Vetus M3 means little. there are at least three models that have been made under the M3 designation. Just to add to the problems there is no such unit as "cold cranking" as far as batteries are concerned - Cold Cranking Amps, CCA, - yes but not CC. I will assume you are talking about CCA. The website: http://www.bgsoflex.com/cca.html allegedly estimates the CCA from engine capacity and number of cylinders. The M3-28 has a capacity of 58 cu. in. and I assume 3 cylinders. This site returns a CCA of 116 cold cranking amps, so the 400 (or the 300) CCA unit should start it. However the CCA is the number of amps that the battery can deliver for 30 seconds at 0 degrees F until the voltage falls to something around 10 and a bit volts. One could extrapolate that the 400 CCA unit would crank the engine for just over 1.5 minutes, but that is without the glow plug current. (I am not sure about the validity of the extrapolation) So if your engine normally starts within a minute or so of cranking then the 400 CCA pack should be fine providing you ensure it is well charged when you need it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.