Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MVWEBB...
MVWEBB...

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05pm

Post Subject: Engine Overhaul/Replacement

I have a 57ft narrowboat from 1992 fitted with a Lister LPWS3. There are two problems with the engine compared with modern systems. It burns oil - emitting blue smoke at anything over 1200 revs. Vibration causes small items to rattle throuout the boat. According to the manual it is due for a decoke/deglaze. If this is done will I achieve smooth, quiet running or does the nature of the beast preclude a quiet life?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50pm

Post Subject: Engine Overhaul/Replacement

First please be aware that once an engine is stripped to the level required to do a proper bore deg laze you may well find you need a full overhaul including regrinding the crank, reboring it, plus new pistons and bearings. It may also require a new oil pump. If you decide to go for deglazing please get a worse case quote so you can plan for the worst case. The vibration problem is probably a combination of things. IF and its a big IF one cylinder is a bit low on compression or if an injector is faulty then the work may well improve things. A three cylinder engine will always tend to be vibrate more than a four unless it has internal balance shafts and I do not think the Lister does. Flexibly mounted engines often bang the shaft about in the stern gland because their flexible couplings do not allow for radial misalignment so in this case the problem will still be present. This should not be the case if the engine is ridgidly mounted. Flexible engine mounts do fail with age and they also drop putting the shaft out of alignment and causing vibrations so this would need looking at when the engine is put back into the boat after the work. Incidentally I have been on very few boats that do not suffer a rattle or two at certain revs. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.