Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:42pm

Post Subject: moving

i have a 40ft narrow boat at thorne and looking to move to the taunton &bridgewater canal.can anyone advise me or give me sometime of route time is no option as i am retired.kenny kemp bluemist

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:33pm

I am not even sure that there is access from the sea (it may have been recently re-established) but unless your boat and is suitable and insured for a passage along the North Somerset coast my guess is one longish day. Lift out at Thorne onto a truck, drive to a suitable point on the canal and lift back in. My guess is not economically viable. I am not even sure there are nor restrictions on types of craft for that canal. Tony Brooks

peterlj
peterlj

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:53pm

Hello Ken, according to Canal Plan AC this trip would require a sea crossing as there is no direct link.How ever once you get there your boat will be able to use the canal without problem. Once again the guru is right, however, may be you could use your time cruising down to the area and thus may be reduce your cost of transporting you boat by road.If you do move your boat it would make a good article for the mag. Try looking at canal plan ac it may be of great help to you. Good luck.

bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:05pm

thanks for the advice tony

bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:10pm

thank you for this advice i will get my boat a bit nearer on the canal system.as i said retirement gives me plenty of leisure time for this thanks peter

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.