Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Robandjue
Robandjue

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28pm

Post Subject: Springer v hull design

My daughter and son-in-law have a 1974, 36ft springer with a v hull. They are very happy with the boat, but, when they lift the floor inspection hatches, there's water sitting in the v of the hull. I have been told that this is ok as they are designed that way. A design that has water running down the inside of the boat has me confused. In their defence, the v has been blacked. As a Narrow boat owner, am I just being paranoid, or is there cause for concern.Thanks Rob and Jue

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19am

Post Subject: Springer v hull design

In an ideal world no boat would have water inside the hull that is accessible by lifting boards but the world is not ideal and a V hull with typical trim would tend to concentrate the water towards the back of the boat. Much now depends upon the hulls design. If the front cockpit is not self draining (and it may well not be)and it has no watertight back bulkhead then that is one place water could get under the boards. Likewise if the stern bulkhead is not watertight then the stern gland and rain from a non-self draining rear cockpit would allow water to collect. In these cases regular bilge pumping of the area should keep the amount of water to the minimum. If the boat does have watertight front and rear bulkheads then there is more of a potential problem. The water could then be from a leaking domestic water system, condensation on the inside of the hull a leaking hull. Even without watertight bulkheads it might still be a leaking hull. The water needs pumping out and the area sponging dry. Do this every day for a week or so to allow an accumulated water to trickle back to the area (in fact make it a board at the back of the boat). Then if after a week of warm dry weather the water is back I think cause needs further investigation and to be honest if it has to be re-bottomed I would fear for the hull, but that would need proving. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.91 seconds.