Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
petercra...
petercra...

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:43pm

Post Subject: Wide beam steerage

i have a 56' flat bottom 10'6" wide beam. She is steered by a small joystick. i have great difficulty getting her to 'track' in a straight line through the water. the slightest wind or river current or anything sends her off course. I cannot relax for a moment. She weighs in at around 28 tons. Suggestions please to make cruising a little less anxious and more peaceful.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:10pm

Post Subject: Wide beam steerage

The lack of a keel is not going to help matters as is a relatively high cabin side coupled with a smallish draft but perhaps the most important thing is feed back and I very much doubt your system provides feed back to the joystick. I suspect cost would be prohibitive. I think you would do well to consult a proper qualified naval architect to see if simple alternations to the hull or rudder may help, otherwise it would have to be try this and see and the try that. This tends to get expensive. You could experiment with movable ballast to see if altering the trim helps. Trimming stern down may help but then the bow may be more subject to wind movement. Unless your situation makes joystick control mandatory I think the best way may be to fit a tiller or if that is not possible a MANUAL wheel system. I would be wary of hydraulic steering (which I suspect yours uses as part of the system) unless I could be assured of adequate feedback to the steerer

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.