Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
lexicon...
lexicon...

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10pm

Post Subject: prm gearbox replacement

i have a 40foot cruiser stern narrowboat with a 1.5 bmc engine. old prm 100 gearbox that prm stopped making in 1973 and am having trouble with slow speed drive, suspect clutch issues and looking to replace with a prm 150d gearbox. any advice on best way to do this? is it best to get a boatyard to do this work for me?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23pm

Post Subject: prm gearbox replacement

I suspect the new box will be somewhat shorter that your old one so that means the engine may need moving on the beds or the shaft be extended in some way. Not only that it is possible that the position of the coupling relative to the engine feet may be different on the new box. If you feel confident in reading diagrams, taking accurate measurements and the work mentioned above then you can probably do the job, otherwise I suspect the boatyard option may be more productive. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.