Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MaxJones1...
MaxJones1...

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41am

Post Subject: 'Beginners' Boat Electrics Book

I am looking for a 'beginners' book for boat electrics, after seeing one in a local chandlers that explained about resistance, volts, amps, how to use a soldering iron and multimeter properly etc. However, after seeing the rather hefty price tag(!), I deemed it better to look online and see about getting a better one for a better price. So, could you possibly recommend a decent beginners book for boat (12V) electrics? I have found this one on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Boat-Electric s-Pat-Manley/dp/1904475175), but don't know if it's suited more to yachts etc rather than canal boats! Thanks - Much Appreciated! Max J

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:49pm

Post Subject: 'Beginners' Boat Electrics Book

If we ignore the navigation equipment then any boat electrics book should be OK for canal boats but not all are accurate. If you want a free resource why not have a look at the electrical course notes on www.tb-training.co.uk. They are free for private individuals to print out section by section. The site will also show how you can get free 1:1 email support for any questions you have. There is also a book called the 12 Volt Bible but once we get into actual books the price can get a bit scary. The one I use cost about £40 10 years ago and much of it is not applicable to inland boating but at least it is accurate. I am not familiar with the book you mention so can not comment on it. Another good, free on-line resource is the technical notes on the Smartguage website. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.48 seconds.