Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Nickbda
Nickbda

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:46am

Post Subject: Wide beam versus narrow?

Hello, I am completely new to the entire topic of cruising on the UK canals. I would like to plan a holiday with a rental company and I am trying to weigh up the options of wide beam versus narrow. Is there a simple map that shows where wide beam boats can go on the the canal network. In particular is there a map that shows how extensively a wide beam boat can travel the canal network? For example, can a wide beam navigate from the southern canals to the northern part of the network and if so how? I realise that on a holiday this would not be an issue but I am also thinking longer term, just in case I get the bug! I look forward to hearing from 'the experts.' Thank you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40am

Post Subject: Wide beam versus narrow?

Try http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage =Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm all on one line. There is only a connection between the North and South wide beam canals by sea for suitable boats or on the back of a truck. Some of the northern wide beam routes have a maximum wide beam length of about 57ft so a longer dutch barge would not fit the locks. The River Stort is neither wide nor narrow so some wide beam boats would be too wide (I think the width is 13 ft but do not quote me - look on Waterscape.com). The tunnels on the GU for instance require wide boats to contact BW for permission to enter and that will probably only be given in the dead of night. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.02 seconds.