Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dav53fish
dav53fish

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28pm

Post Subject: Domestic Battery Charging

I have 3 240v feeds 1- Land Line 2- Studer Inverter 3- Electrolux travelpack generator All selected via a 4 position switch (4 = off) A studer battery charger connected to the land line and 80amp alternator charge 4 x 110a batteries via an EMS controller. Would there be any benifit in using the travel pack to assist in charging when travelling and reduce engine running time( I am a continuos cruiser). If so would a 3 postion changeover switch be adequate.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32am

Dear Dave, I am not qualified to advise on mains electricity so can not comment on a three position switch. I am also confused by your saying you have 3 "mains" feeds but listing 4. All I have been able to Google for EMS controller is that EMS is a generic term for Energy Management System so I must guess that you are just talking about one of the advanced alternator controllers. For the Travelpack to charge batteries would require a "mains" battery charger and as you only list the Studer as an inverter and not a combi-unit or inverter/charger I do not see how you will get a battery charge from Travelpack. If you do have a mains battery charger that can be connected to the Travelpack then it could be used to charge the batteries BUT there are potential problems. The main one relates to having a different charging volatge being supplied by each form of charging. If you do (and 0.1 volt may be enough)then the charge source with the lower voltage setting may shut down. This would be fine if the device with the lower output shut down but not if it was the higher one. During the initial stage of charging there is every chance that both devices would be at full output and they would be limiting their output volatge by internal design. For this period both should charge so you would get the sum of both charges. However as soon as the charging currant starts to fall the Alternator controller would start to boost the charging voltage and the battery charger may well do the same so from that point on the outcome is not predicable, although no actual damage should be done. The only way to be sure is to try it but if this involves expense you need to think hard because that first stage of charging usually takes well under an hour so if one did shut down it may not be cost effective. As usual if any other readers have experience of this please chip in. Tony Brooks

dav53fish
dav53fish

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14pm

To clear up any confusion Only 3 240v options - no. 4 is Off I have a Studer inverter and a seperate Studer Mains Battery Charger. The EMS unit is a Merlin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:23pm

Sorry about that. Having read the original question twice I decided you had said that you have two shorelines, not that I could understand why - even if you have two sockets. Put it down to the horrible forum software that will not let you make lists. The Merlin device is known as the Merlin AMS, not that that makes any difference to my answer. It is still try it and see as long as it does not cost much and you have a "mains" battery charger. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.