Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jimjoyce
jimjoyce

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:57pm

Post Subject: Heating

I have been considering buying a boat first registered in 2004 this boat is fitted with a Wispergen PP16-12MD 5.5kW which supplies both hot water for heating and 800kw of electrical output from the same unit I have neve come across the unit before and have not met asnyone else who has, do you know anthing about this type of unit its performance and reliability? Regards Jim Hanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49am

Post Subject: Heating

This is based on a Sterling engine and made in Australia or New Zealand. he Sterling engine is a closed cycle external heat engine a bit like a condensing steam engine. Its UK distributors were/are E P Barrus of Bicester. When first introduced to the UK market I had great hopes for the system although it was expensive for its outputs. However I suspect the fact that it never seems to have moved into the mass market may be a comment on its reliability at that time. I understand that it may need dedicated diagnostic equipment when it goes wrong. I am almost certain that 800kW is a fiction, I suspect it is 800 watts which equates to about a 50 amp charge. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.